Tuesday, October 16, 2007

My First Handmade Apron!

I have a serious sewing bug! First the tote, now the vintage-style apron! I have something else I cooked up (not literally) last night, but I'll save that for later this week. Anywho, I'm not sure where this came bug came from. One minute, I was hiding the sewing machine (that I was slightly intimidated by) under the side table in my living room, the next, it's taken over the dining room table along with piles of cloth, rick-rack, ribbon, vintage buttons, and other sewing goodies. Now, I finally get to put all the supplies I stocked up on several months ago to good use.

I suppose I can credit the success of my first project this weekend and how much easier it was to do than I thought it would be...or could I could credit the most-awesome craftiness of the authors and contributors of all the crafty books I've been stocking up on...or I could consider that I may have gained some extra craftiness through osmosis by spending all day with the crafters at the Etsy Crafting Patch Market. I like to think it's a combination of all of the above that led to my second project - the Vintage Apron in Bend The Rules Sewing by Amy Karol:


Gathering my materials



Getting ready to put the pieces together



Sewing the last bit - finishing the waist band



The directions said to embellish as I wanted, so I added a simple pocket with some pretty rick-rack



It's far from perfect - the gathering wasn't so hot and I didn't sew the lines quite as straight as I could have, but I'm pretty proud of this for my first apron project. Can't wait to wear it for my next cooking adventure. Thanks Amy for the fun project!

4 comments:

Sarah and Jack said...

And so it begins....

One little project turns into "this isn't so hard" which turns into "hmmm, I kinda like this" which turns into an entire room full of fabric and a brand new (expensive) sewing machine!

Welcome to it!

Shopaholic D said...

You're exactly right! When I was younger, I only ever sewed pillow cases. Then, what did I try out earlier this year? An entire duvet cover - enough fabric to burn me out for months! I'm really loving these smaller, simpler projects!

Hmm...a new sewing machine? That would be nice...but maybe I could get a serger first???

:) D

sew nancy said...

Isn't Amy's book great?
Sewing is addictive. The quick projects are satisfying. i've been wanting to do some new aprons too so I think i'll give this a go soon.
Thanks for your comment on my blog. I loved your story about finding the embroidery box with all the floss and wow I'm so jealous of the organization by color with their #'s and all

Shopaholic D said...

Hey Sew Nancy - yes, it's wonderful! I think I may have tried to be too ambitious on the project before the tote. I made a duvet cover earlier this year and totally burned myself out. I'm too impatient for that...or at least, I like to have some faster projects to work on while finishing a slower one up.

Sad thing about the embroidery box is that I'm thinking of reorganizing it by #, instead of by the DMC chart. Now, if I could only find a spare 3 or 4 hours to do it! lol

:) D