Monday, October 01, 2007

Comfort Food: Cooler Weather Dinner

What is it about the weather cooling down that makes you want to have something baking in the oven for dinner and something warm for dessert? Maybe a roasted chicken and home-baked apple pie? Mmmm...maybe I'll try both of those for the first time later this year. It's kinda weird how as much as I cook now, I didn't cook all that much before. Sure, I played restaurant owner when I was kid and I remember wanting a cash register so badly. More than I wanted dolls, Barbies, or even an easy-bake-oven. Perhaps I've always wanted to own my own business...not so much cook. Either way, I grew up watching food TV back when no one knew who Emeril or Rachael Ray was and when my favorite chef was Martin Yan from Yan Can Cook. He came into town this past weekend, but I didn't get to see him. This is the 2nd year I knew he was here and somehow missed out. Oh well...there's always next year. Funny how that happens. Everything seems to turn into "I'll do that next year" or "I'll do that next time" if you're not careful.

I'm working on that...not procrastinating as much. Actually completing my to-do list...or at least getting the most important items out of the way first.

Doesn't this chicken dish look yummy? It's actually quite the semi-homemade meal. I've actually featured it here on The Chic Life before, but my future mother-in-law bought me the most adorable baking set and I had to take more pictures with the one I used for this meal.

A meal is never complete without dessert, right? I don't think it is...I like to say that even when my regular stomach is full, my dessert stomach is waiting to be fed. Does anyone else out there have a "dessert stomach"? Not only do I have one, but I have the worst sweet tooth...I'm a dessert-a-holic, basically.

These are some super yummy Blueberry Dumplings by Paula Deen. They are one of the best desserts you can make on a cold or rainy day it says so on Wikipedia (ok, not really...you caught me fibbing). I'm sure it would be good on a warm day, but it's just so ooey-gooey and warm on your throat...I bet this would be so tastey if you had a cold - one of those colds where you can actually smell and taste food, of course. If you try this recipe, watch out b/c this recipe is super-sweet...I mean really sweet, and that's coming from a self-proclaimed dessert-a-holic, so you know I mean business.

No comments: