Sunday, February 25, 2007

French Pastry, Dear?

This Saturday, my sister and I decided to do a bit of shopping. She's a black belt in Tai Kwon Do (third degree) and just happens to have a fascination with Asian stuff...we are half Asian, but that's besides the point. For Christmas, I purchased a belt for her made out of real kimonos and obis. We decided to stop by the boutique where I purchased her belt b/c there was a whole booth setup of pillows, belts, hair bows, table runners, and more made out of kimonos and obis. On the way, we spotted this lovely French Bakery and decided to make a stop on our way back. I'm glad we did.

The front of this fab bakery


The bakery is located in an "artistic" part of town - an industrial area that is being revamped - so lots of buildings are actually old warehouses made over. The bakery is located in one of these, so the structure is quite open and airy, which I think adds extra personality.


Inside we were greated by gobs and gobs of goodies - les croissants chocolats (my favorite) and other airy options


Gorgeous tartes of all sizes and chocolate truffles...mmm


They even had bite-sized tarts (top left), which were only about an inch in diameter.


My sister got some extra information on some of the sweet treats...


...and decided on a puff pastry filled with cream cheese.


I ordered a few things, but only ate the one in the front of the box - a puff pastry filled with almond cream...yummy! I was saving the others for later - the truffles were for my sweetie and the petite tart for me. Unfortunately, he so sweetly reminded me that we had given up dessert for Lent...doh! I had to give them to my sister :(


The chefs worked right behind the pastry displays, so we got to see some tarts being made. I can't wait till Lent is over...I'm so going back here the first day I can eat dessert again!

6 comments:

ShabbyInTheCity said...

Oh that must have been rough! I am Baptist so we don't give up stuff...
I love the almond filling too! We don't have a good bakery here but there is a great french one an hour away that I get to sometimes.

Shopaholic D said...

yea...it was no fun. but, i'll be back soon...luckily it's only about 10 mins from my apt...though an hour would be worth the drive for good baked goods!

:) D

DebbieDo said...

YUM! I gave up sweets for lent too, so far so good.

Last year we went to St. Barths and I think I ate French pastries everyday!

Shopaholic D said...

it's a tough one, isn't it!?

Ooh...you sound like me...I think I had at least one French pastry every day I was in France, which was luckily only about 28 days total...phew! Those pastries were the only reason I didn't lose weight overseas...lol

:) D

Coleen said...

What a dream! I would kill for some good pastries right now, but all we've got is Walmart! :(

Shopaholic D said...

i can't believe they're so close too! i went to France in 97 and 99...wow...that's 10 years i've waited to have good french pastries again (unless you count those random French bakeries I discovered in Miami...hehe), but well worth the wait! can you believe I just gave up dessert for lent? booo...lol

;) D