Monday, January 22, 2007

Vintage Turquoise Heron "Jar"

In addition to visiting my mom this past weekend to spend some quality time for her birthday, I also managed to get her out of the house...not an easy task to get a QVC fanatic out and about. We headed to the local flea market, but we didn't make it out until waaaaay late. The outside part sucked big time. All I saw were tables of Nike shoes, stereos and a whole bunch of produce. I must have seen at least 15 tables of each and twice as much over with the product. Just when I had given up hope, we headed to an indoor section, which was marked "commercial vendors." I thought it would be a bust - full of only Mary Kay, Tupperware, and other mass-produced items, but to my shock, there were 3 or 4 grandmother-types selling their personal collections. I picked up a few awesome pieces, including this gorgeous, turquoise number:

The ceramic-looking "jar" (I'm not really sure exactly what it is) is imprinted with litle herons and tall grass motifs, but it's just that color that keeps me intrigued.

The woman told me this had been in her house for years, but I really just wanted it for the color. I mean, just look at it! I spotted it from a mile away and ran over to the table, swooped up the bowl, quickly asked the price and carried it around while I perused the table like I was carrying around a small baby. I ended up getting a gorgeous vintage lamp from this same lady, but I didn't have time to shoot that today...sorry!

2 comments:

Sarah and Jack said...

It is lovely! It looks like old blue milk glass to me.

Shopaholic D said...

hmm...that would be one huge milk glass! lol...jk

:) D