Sunday, October 22, 2006

What's Wrong With Me?

"To exist is to change, to change is to mature, to mature is to go on creating oneself endlessly." ~Henri Bergson

Today I subscribed to Martha Steward Living. I sat there, staring at my computer screen, wondering, am I really about to subscribe to Martha Stewart Living? What's wrong with me? I don't get Martha, I get Cosmo, Lucky, Glamour...

I remember one time in college, when I had moved from the dorms to an apartment, I did something...maybe I cooked, or I ironed something...I can't remember...but what I do remember is how my friends remarked, "Oh my gosh...look at domesticated Diana!" Hmmm...domesticated? I think I've always been "domesticated." Even back in middle school, my favorite TV shows were FoodTV and HGTV. I've always loved cooking, crafting, garage-saling, and other stereotypically "domesticated" things. And yet, it was almost as though that person took a step back in college to let a different person develop, and now those two entities are growing together. I've taken up garage-saling again. I run a jewelry business, so I do crafty stuff all the time. I've started evening out my TV time with Style and The Food Network and HGTV. My mom bought me a sewing machine, so I'm trying to re-teach myself to sew. It's weird and refreshing all at once, sort of like when you revisit your parents house after you've moved out...it's unfamiliar and comfortable at the same time.

No comments: