Thursday, October 05, 2006

Miami Cuisine - Bistec Anyone?

One of my favorite experiences from my trip to Miami was eating at an authentic Cuban restaurant. We checked out one in the Coral Gables area that was super nice, and our friend/"tour guide" (hehe...jk) that we were visiting is actually Cuban herself, so she was able to help us order the best items on the menu. We started the meal with deep fried plantain chips with a garlic/oil dip and yuka...umm...somethings with a creamy basil (I think it was) dipping sauce. For my entree, I had the Bistec de Palomilla, which I instantly fell in love with. It's an extremely flat piece of steak, seasoned with garlic and lime juice, sauteed till it's juuuuust right. It's served with rice, black beans, and a minced onion/parsley mixture, and a side of pan-fried, sweetened plantains. It was sooo good! To top the meal off, we had a "coffee with milk." Now, I know that sounds simple, but it's not just brewed coffee with milk poured in it. It's actually sort of like a mini cafe latte with twice the caffeine and slightly sweetened. It was also delicious...the whole meal was really.

Anywho, the other night, I don't know what caught me, but I decided to try to recreate my fab meal from Miami.


My attempt at Bistec de Palomilla - it would have been better with a better cut of meat, but ah well...


My meal wouldn't have been complete without the fried plantains! A girl's gotta have her dessert!

No comments: