Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Re-learning to Sew

Yep, that's right...re-learning. I think sewing is almost like one of those weird hobbies or abilities...like riding a bike. You never really forget how to do it...it just kind of...comes back to you.

I remember, vaguely, creating little pillows and other hand-woven goods when I was younger...I made a lot in my fiber arts class back in high school...that was a fun class! I actually still have some of my creations at my parent's house. They were little fabric-based creations of a kid with a wild imagination...pillows embellished with a multitude of yarns, buttons, and other interesting finds. Those were the days...

I asked my mom for a sewing machine several years ago. I asked her and didn't rush out to buy one b/c she loves her QVC shopping and enjoys finding the good deals and neat options on QVC TV. Well, she purchased a sewing machine for me about 3 years ago, but I never had time to use it...then, I didn't have the space (when I lived in the 2 bedroom townhome w/ 3 people). But now, I have a craft room and all the space I need to get my craftin' on for real! I am re-learning how to sew now, and I'm having a blast! Just like hopping back onto a bike, the art of sewing is coming back to me. Instincts kick in, telling me how to thread the machine, how to fill a bobbin...that I have to backstitch when I start and end...things I just know w/o having to read a book, though I have purchased a couple for inspiration.

I love doing all kinds of crafty things, so here's another fun hobby to add to the list. I can't wait to start making lovely creations, and don't worry...if you keep reading this blog or designing sass, you'll be the first to see them!

No comments: