Monday, November 12, 2007

Me Day? Not So Much...

Ok, so I know I promised that I would take a "Me Day" today since it's a bank holiday so I could work on that quilt kit, but how can you say no to these eyes?



So, yes, to answer the question you may be thinking, we got a Corgi puppy today! He's a Pembroke Welsh Corgi and he's absolutely adorable!

Ok, here's the scoop:
I've been trying to talk my SO into getting a dog for awhile now. My German Shepherd (RIP Teddy) died a couple years ago, but my SO has a dog at home, so it's been a tougher decision for him. Fiiiiiinally, this weekend, he told me that he was thinking about getting me a dog for Christmas. Good thing I'd been researching puppies for a few months now. Since we live in an apartment right now, we have to keep the dog's size under 30 lbs. So, I'd been looking into

Shiba Inus

and Corgis


Both are medium sized dogs that I would feel relatively safe walking around by myself (yea, I'm paranoid...especially about being mugged, and yes...even in my neighborhood). Both are smart and have good temperments. Both have a lot of qualities my SO and I were looking for in a dog. We also considered rescuing or adopting a dog and while it breaks my heart that we didn't get one, we feel like our new puppy sorta picked us. We visited a couple pet stores this weekend and saw a couple puppies we liked, but nothing that jumped out at us. But, today, when we found out there was a pet store 30 minutes away that was selling one puppy of each breed we were interested in, we knew we had to check it out. We were actually planning on visiting a couple shelters today, but they only do adoptions on weekends and we had already missed the Saturday boat. I'm still brainstorming other ways I can help out a pet organiziation, but back to the story...we got to the store this afternoon and immediately looked for the Corgi. He was in a circular bin that had an open top, so I leaned over to get a better look and the little Corgi puppy reached up and kissed my nose....Awww...it was a sign...it had to be, right? We asked to play with the puppy and instantly felt a connection. He was so bubbly and friendly and soft and cuddly...after roughly 20 minutes of play time, we knew he was coming home with us. We even got him on a Veteran's Day sale...who knew they did holiday sales for dogs? Anywho, to make a long story short, we and our new puppy picked each other out today and the rest will be history. Now, we just have to figure out a great name...we're thinking maybe Bailey or Duke, but we're not sure. We looked through a couple Welsh Names web sites, but nothing else has really jumped out at us. I'm sure we'll figure something out soon...can't wait!

NOTE: Shiba Inu and last Corgi photo found on the web - if you're the owner and object to its use, please email me at shopaholicd at gmail dot com and I'll take it down.

10 comments:

kokostiletto said...

Omg he is soooo cute!!!!!! I want a puppy so bad!!!

Anonymous said...

OH.MY.GOD. That is the CUTEST, MOST adorable-est puppy I've seen!!! Congratulations! He is beyond cute!!

Catlin said...

YAAAY! It must be great to finally get a dog!!!!

I wish your doggie all the best in his new home:-)

Anonymous said...

You have a very cute Corgi. I wonder when can i get mine. I have my Japanese Spitz but I want to have a new pup. Hmmm Chiuaua I think!

Lys said...

He is GORGEOUS!!!!! Awwww those eyes. CONGRATS!

Shopaholic D said...

Awww...thanks everyone for the sweet comments! I can't wait to get more photos up!

:) D

Anonymous said...

I just got a new puppy too! Good luck with the potty training!

Shopaholic D said...

thanks anonymous - we need it! i bet you do, too! lol

:) D

Lily Goodwin said...

Congrats!!! He is such a cute dog!

Shopaholic D said...

Thanks White Lily!

:) D